27 June 2009

A Weekend Project

Last week I found two matching milk glass lamps at the thrift store (I wish I had taken this picture before I got rid of the lampshades; they were absurd and ruffly):













So I took the lamps apart, cleaned all the pieces...














...painted all the metal and plastic pieces...


...replaced the wiring, bought some nice lampshades, put it all back together, and came out with a set of lovely, one-of-a-kind lamps to add to our humble abode:



Between the cost of the lamps, new wiring, and lampshades, they ended up costing ~$20 each. Hurray for great Goodwill finds and weekend projects!

A cost-saving tip I learned during this project: check in the electrical supplies of the hardware store for pieces like the actual light socket. I found the plug/wire in the lighting department, and the sockets there were about $2 more than they were in the electrical department.


No comments: